Decided to get this patch out quick because I accidentally made bots dodge all the time when I added Energize!
- New spell! Diverting Shield
- Ice Sheet cooldown down to 12 seconds from 15
- Meteor cost down to 110 from 120
- Fixed bots dodging all the time (a bug from introducing the Energize spell)
I finally got some time to bring some of the gameplay ideas to life! I feel that my calculus test went pretty well, too.
- Augments for spells have been changed: you no longer buy augments
- Added a new spell, Energize, that consumes a bar of energy to energize your next spell
- Each spell starts with an Augment now, but spells are only augmented when they’re “energized”
- Spell descriptions say what happens when they’re energized
- In the server list, online-mode servers now display their current players and their max players
- Gold rate decreased to 2 per 5 seconds from 2.5 per 5
- Removed passive energy regen
- Removed energy gain from hitting people with Plasma Ball / Laser Shot
- Modified Augment values for nearly every spell
- Created the core code that allows for servers that run all the time (without a “host player”): this will allow for legit, official servers
I’ve been thinking about the user experience a lot recently, and I am going to start making some core gameplay changes. The energy system only working for Lunge feels really out of place, but I do like the idea of it. Couple this with the fact that it can be confusing to know all of the spells and items and augments for a newcomer, and you’ll see why I am making such a drastic change.
This is the idea: Remove the purchasable augments on spells (but keep them for items for item “upgrade” paths). Now, every spell will have a strong, innate augment associated with it. Give the players a new activatable spell that consumes a bar of energy and makes their next spell apply its augment. I believe that such a change could bring about a deeper strategy component. It would also free up some current augments to become spells/items of their own.
A short and sweet patch with a zoom feature (two levels of magnification, the normal view, and two levels of zooming out) was a pain because I didn’t design my code around it! I had to change up the tile and background and light culling code to get it working.
I also tweaked forces: they now decay faster so that they don’t act as a powerful slow anymore, but they start at 1.2x their normal speed, so the total offset will be roughly the same, but being knocked back, especially into the Void, isn’t as annoying.
- Fixed Damaging Lunge from changing the color Red to White on some other spells/particles
- Moved Shuffle Teams and Points to Win options to the lobby, where everyone can see their state
- Changed the look of some toggles to better show that they’re toggles
- Reworked shuffle teams algorithm so that it evens out the number of players per team in case there are more seats than players
The next build, 102, might take about a week or so to come out because I’ve fallen behind in Calc II and gotta catch up, so I’ll see you then!
Check out cool shockwaves!
Yeah so I jumped from 93 to 100, but I did it because it’s a big patch!
- Remade Ice Sheet icon
- Ice Sheet has a casting sound now! It’s crunchy
- Traction Ice Sheet: 20 gold: allies don’t slip on your sheets
- Thin Ice Sheet: 25 gold: enemies can’t see your sheets
- Laser Shot cooldown down to 2 from 4
- Laser Shot damage down to 2-3 from 4-6
- Laser Shot fatigue down to .02 from .04
- Laser Shot knockback down to 70 from 90
- Laser Shot’s sound is randomly pitch-shifted
- Loaded Laser Shot snare down to .2 seconds from .3
- Loaded Laser Shot additional knockback down to 30 from 40
- Players’ health/maxhealth are displayed above their health bar now
- Readded ability to lower Repel’s Self Damage, but it now costs 14 per upgrade instead of 10
- Shinier in-game UI elements
- Prettier cast range indicators with circles every 100 pixels
- New Energy system that ties in with the new spell, Lunge
- Created Lunge and its Augments! Its augments only go off if you have one bar of energy
- Added bots! (they don’t know how to play on capture maps or capture energy orbs yet)
- Changed the layout of the lobby a bit: now the seats are in the center of the screen so that they don’t overlap with the chat on small resolutions with a lot of teams
- Re-did art on some tiles
- Added a shockwave effect to Plasma Ball and Meteor (a biiig one on meteor)
- Fixed Ghostly Homing not colliding with players properly after going through a wall
- Moving more options into the lobby so servers don’t have to be reset from slight changes
- More spells!
- Smarter bots!
I tested adding more bots to surpass the 12 player limit, and to my mild surprise, it worked real well! There are 100 bots in this game. I didn’t want the video to be too long, so I set the death cap at 20. I gotta figure out why the blue guys like to run into the Void.